Monday, November 17, 2008

iPod Ecosystem

Again, I will talk some about accessories for the iPod. They have acquired quite a market. This makes many companies happy because they get a large profit margin for these add-ons. A study found that the global sales on iPod cases, car chargers, and docking stations last year was up to 850 million!! This in turn makes the player even more popular of course.

All of these extras for iPods has been coined the "iPod ecosystem" by some. The straightforward, "bland" style of the iPod has possibly aided in people acquiring more of these add-ons as well. Some smart people over there at Apple.

There have been some quite luxurious add-ons. Here are some to name a few:
- $200 python iPod case by Coach.
- iJoy massage chair from the Sharper Image catalog.
- and my favorite, the TuneBuckle belt for the iPod nano.

A quote from a NYT's article sums some of this ecosystem up:
Mr. Humphrey of Kensington, which makes about a dozen iPod accessories, called the accessory market "a real phenomenon," adding, "I've never seen anything like it in my career."

A link to this excellent NYT's article by Damon Darlin.- "The iPod Ecosystem"

Check out these wild pictures (iPod add-ons in visual):
















Coach's Python cover.













THEE TuneBuckle for the iPod Nano.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

This reminded me that I wanted to comment on your earlier post regarding the little extras you can spend money like crazy on. I have the iTrip that you can plug into your MP3 to play to your car radio. Just in case anyone thinks about purchasing it, I don't recommend it. It does work good but only if stay in one area. When travelling, which is why my hubby bought it for me, its tough. When we had it in the Cities, we basically gave up on it. If you are one of the lucky ones to have a tape deck in your car yet, I highly recommend the one that is a cassette. It plugs into your player and then there is a "tape" to put into your tapedeck. No worries about static and finding the right station! My next plan of action is to simply put a new stereo system into my vehicle, many of which come MP3 ready. YEA! I wonder what Mr. B. would say that? Making my transportation even more isolating. How dare I!

Lana said...

That iPod belt buckle thing is just weird. It's funny, I always see these accessories in the store and I keep thinking I should get an iPod. But the thing is I don't want the iPod because I need one...I want one so I can get like an iDog or some other cute little accessory. I kind of feel like I am in a digital divide by not having one because I can't buy the fun little items that go with them. I guess the solution would be to break down and get and iPod, but they keep changing them so I think as soon as I get one, they will be obsolete. In the meantime, I guess I just live on the have not side of the iPod divide.